A census of the ocean
1. Both in Unit 1 and in Snelgrove’s talk, emphasis is placed on the importance and massiveness of the world’s oceans. Identify some of the facts from both the unit and the video that support this claim.
2. During his talk, Snelgrove comments that we know more about the Moon or Mars than we do about the deep-sea floor and marine habitat as a whole. Why is this surprising and even ironic?
3. Snelgrove describes a fishing disaster that occurred where he grew up in Canada in an effort to explain How we are now experiencing “shifting baselines.” Explain what he means by this term.
4. According to Snelgrove, if you were to suck all of the water out of the ocean, what would you be left with?
5. Describe what Snelgrove discusses in terms of how the oceans play a part in global collaboration.
6. Discuss the concerns Snelgrove has regarding the health and safety of our oceans and ocean life.
7. As he concludes his talk, Snelgrove says, “And as the oceans go, so shall we.” Explain what he means by this statement.
Please watch the following video and answer the questions that follow.
1. In the video, boat captain Dan Kipness says, “If you look at it long enough—and I’ve had enough time to look at it—you can see small changes turn into big changes over a period of time.” What do you think he means by this?
2. Discuss how and why increased flooding from high tide and weather events has been a stark wake-up call for the residents of South Beach.
3. Jayantha Obeysekera discusses the regional flood control system that was designed and built by the U.S. Army engineers about 50 years ago. How was this system designed to work, and why is it no longer sufficient? What, if any, is the solution for this issue?
Our motto is deliver assignment on Time. Our Expert writers deliver quality assignments to the students.
Get reliable and unique assignments by using our 100% plagiarism-free services.
The experienced team of AssignmentHippo has got your back 24*7. Get connected with our Live Chat support executives to receive instant solutions for your assignment problems.
We can build quality assignments in the subjects you're passionate about. Be it Programming, Engineering, Accounting, Finance and Literature or Law and Marketing we have an expert writer for all.
Get premium service at a pocket-friendly rate. At AssignmentHippo, we understand the tight budget of students and thus offer our services at highly affordable prices.