THE SERVICE ECONOMY
CHAPTER QUIZ QUESTIONS
1. Services are deeds, processes, and performances. (T)
2. The Clark-Fisher hypothesis notes the shift of employment from one sector of the economy to another. (T)
3. The fall in employment in the agricultural sector is the primary reason for the increase in service sector employment. (F)
4. The consumer participates in the service process, which is not the case in manufacturing. (T)
5. The classification of service systems using the "service process matrix" is based on two considerations: degree of labor intensity, and the degree of service customization. (T)
6. From an open-systems view, the output of a service system consists of satisfied customers. (T)
7. The service experience defined as escapism requires the most commitment from the customer. (T)
8. A study of service systems must begin with the fundamental idea that the basic inputs are supporting facility, facilitating goods, labor, and capital. The output is the service offered. (F)
9. In contrast to manufacturing, the aesthetics of the environment play a major role in the customer's perception of the service. (T)
10. The fact that services can be inventoried is an important characteristic, which distinguishes them from manufacturing. (F)
11. Reduction of the role played by the consumer is an effective way of improving productivity and decreasing the cost of the service. (F)
12. Services are time-perishable. An opportunity to provide a service, if forgone, is lost forever. (T)
13. Both manufacturing and services can suffer from technological obsolescence. (T)
14. Health care services are projected to have the greatest percent change in U.S. employment in the period 2008-2018. (F)
15. From a marketing perspective, services, unlike goods, involve transfer of ownership. (F)
16. It is convenient and often necessary to combine the operations and marketing functions for service organizations. (T)
17. Sharing service resources among customers presents a challenge for mangers. (T)
18. Little or no interaction between customer and service provider is required when the service is customized (F)
19. Personnel training is a criterion for evaluating the explicit services feature of the service package. (T)
20. The decrease in the proportion of income spent on the basic necessities of life has encouraged the demand for more services and accelerated the transition to post-industrial society. (T)
21. Marketing helps smooth demand to match capacity in service operations. (T)
22. Service-dominant logic is the foundation of “service science.” (T)
23. Value for the “business service experience” is derived from co-creation. (T)
24. A standardized experience is a feature of the new experience economy. (F)
25. A business service experience (B2B) has three dimensions: co-creation of value, relationships, and sustainability. (F)
1. The service package consists of five features. Which one of the features listed below is not included in the package?
a. Explicit services
b. Supporting facility
d. Cost of service*
2. The major input into a large public hospital from a service point of view would be:
a. physicians' services.
c. nursing services.
d. federal reimbursement (Medicare/Medicaid).
3. Which of the following is not true of services?
a. The customer is the input.
b. The customer takes an active part in the service.
c. A service can be inventoried.*
d. Production and consumption occur simultaneously.
4. Which of the following is not a type of service in the non-ownership classification?
a. Goods rental
c. Labor and expertise
d. Network usage
5. The service process matrix classification consists of four categories of services. Which one of the four features listed below is not included in this classification?
a. Service factory
b. Service shop
c. Public service*
d. Professional service
6. Which service offering is best described by the following service mix: a high degree of customer interaction and a high degree of labor intensity?
a. Public university
b. Cruise ship
c. Plumbing repair
7. Division of labor is the central concept of:
a. Industrial societies*
b. Preindustrial societies
c. Agrarian societies
d. Postindustrial societies
8. An empty airline seat or hotel room not occupied best illustrates the characteristic of a service's
a. time perishability.*
b. labor intensity.
d. simultaneous production and consumption.
9. Which type of service falls under the category of "high labor/low customization?"
a. Service factory
b. Service shop
c. Mass service*
d. Professional service
10. Which one of the following is not a value-added service provided by a manufacture to increase profits?
a. Financing or leasing
b. Customer-support call center*
c. After-sales maintenance
d. Network and communication services
11. Which of the following is not a feature of the new experience economy?
a. The experience is memorable.
b. The experience is customized.*
c. The customer is treated as a guest.
d. The experience is staged.
12. The key technology of a postindustrial society is ________.
d. intellectual capital of the workers
13. Capital decisions, technological advances, and managing demand are some managerial challenges for a
a. service factory. *
b. service shop.
c. mass service.
d. professional service.
14. Which among the following strategies is used by fast-food restaurants to reduce costs?
a. Increase advertising via the Internet.
b. Allowing the customer to play an active part in the service process. *
c. Increase prices.
d. Increasing menu items to cater to varying tastes.
15. Which one of the following reasons best explains the recession-resistant nature of services?
a. Services cannot be inventoried.*
b. Many services, such as healthcare, are essential.
c. Many service employees, such as those who work on commission, do not need to be laid off during recessions.
d. The number of jobs in maintenance and repair services increases during recessions.
16. The concept of economies of scale is best described as
a. the replacement of fixed costs with variable costs.
b. selling a wider range of products.
c. a synonym for economies of scope.
d. the replacement of variable costs with fixed costs.*
17. The presence of a friendly desk clerk in a budget hotel is an example of which of the four features of a service package?
a. supporting facility
b. facilitating goods
c. explicit services
d. implicit services *
18. The concept of economies of scope is best described as
a. a synonym for economics of scale.
b. the use of brand extensions.
c. using existing channels of distribution to introduce a new product.*
d. extending existing distribution channels to reach new customers.
19. Which of the following is not a principle on which service experience design is based?
a. Theme the experience.
b. Eliminate negative cues.
c. Mix in memorabilia.
d. Encourage customer feedback.*
20. _____________ is a foundation premise of Service-Dominant Logic
a. The customer is always right
b. Only post-industrial economies are service economies
c. Goods are distribution mechanisms for service provision*
d. Money is the fundamental basis of exchange
21. Which of the following does not describe a business service experience?
d. sustained over time
22. The realms of an experience include all but one of the following:
23. Which one of the following is not a dimension of a business service experience?
a. Co-creation of value
b. Problem solving*
d. Service capability
24 Which of the following is an example of a business service (B2B)?
25 Service innovation is driven by which factor listed below?
a. New product technology
b. Customer needs
c. Observant contact employee
d. All of the above*
26 In an experience economy the method of supply is
a. revealed over time.*
b. stored in bulk.
c. delivered on demand.
Our motto is deliver assignment on Time. Our Expert writers deliver quality assignments to the students.
Get reliable and unique assignments by using our 100% plagiarism-free.
Get connected 24*7 with our Live Chat support executives to receive instant solutions for your assignment.
Get Help with all the subjects like: Programming, Accounting, Finance, Engineering, Law and Marketing.
Get premium service at a pocket-friendly rate at AssignmentHippo
I was struggling so hard to complete my marketing assignment on brand development when I decided to finally reach to the experts of this portal. They certainly deliver perfect consistency and the desired format. The content prepared by the experts of this platform was simply amazing. I definitely owe my grades to them.