First Impressions 55
Beards and mustaches can indicate that the man wearing them
A radical cut, color, or style may suggest
• an adventurous nature
* an expressive, artistic nature
• an unconventional job and lifestyle
• a desire to appeal to a particular peer group• trendiness
• disregard of personal appearance
• a need to be different and noticed
• cultural influence (age, race, social group)
Because so many hairstyles are acceptable on women, most stylistic de-viations don't indicate much about a woman's personality. Extremes of length, volume, style, and color are the most telling aspects of a woman's hair.
Long or short In our culture, women's youth and sexiness are often as-sociated with long hair. For that reason, women's and men's decisions to wear hair long or short have very different implications.
• She may be recovering from or undergoing medical treatment, such as chemotherapy.
If a woman has very long hair, bear in mind the following: